Sunday, March 16, 2008

EARLY DANCE CARD






The Georgia WONDER-Dawgs are now one of those teams we'll always reference. The only thing I regret is that I watched on TV and wasn't covering the championship run in person. I think back to some upsets I've seen with my own eyes and this UGA run is right there. I remember my sprint from the rightfield corner of Fulton County Stadium to interview Sid Bream while his fellow Braves were still on top of him in a championship pile. I remember throwing my mic in the face of Antonio Langham while his teammates still had him on their shoulders in the Superdome after Alabama beat Miami. I was shocked when Terry Bowden grabbed my mic and screamed "NATIONAL CHAMPIONS" after Auburn's 11-0 season in 1993. I was there when Dale Earnhardt won Daytona for the first time and when Auburn finished perfection in 2004. This Georgia team is now in that class.

  • Dennis Felton was “DEAD MAN COACHING” until the Georgia championship run. My question, if they lose in the 1st round, do you keep him? (Answer: Yes)

  • Enter the Dunaway and Brown, CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS Bracket Challenge for BIG Prizes and BIG Fun. Click here for official brackets, here for the rules. Don’t forget to join us at CHARTER (directions) for a live show Wednesday 1-6pm to drop off your brackets, enjoy some food and shoot some hoop on some goals we’ll have set up.

  • I’ll give you my completed bracket right here in this spot on Wednesday, until then here are some thoughts:

  • Tennessee got ripped off! The Vols are the #2 seed opposite of national #1 North Carolina…PLUS they are going to play here in Birmingham, the only Southern City that hates the Big Orange more than most.

  • East Region: North Carolina will win, but Washington State is a real threat

  • South Region: Watch out for Pitt

  • Midwest Region: I’m already sick of hearing about OJ Mayo vs. Michael Beasley. Clemson is a scary team… and don’t sleep on Davidson.

  • West Region: UCLA again gets the easiest road to the Final 4. Xavier has to like their draw.

  • UAB will beat VCU in the NIT and then lose at Virginia Tech

  • Tony Stewart getting dumped by Kevin Harvick was not that big a deal, just racing at Bristol. Glad to see Childress Racing going 1-2-3. Jeff Burton is a nice guy (the only driver EVER to wake up and join me on the 5-7am news. He was live with me TWICE)

No comments: